Wednesday, March 4, 2009

25 Random Things

This is something that was going around Facebook when I first signed up - and it actually turned out to be something fun to do. I've had a couple of people ask about it who are not on FB, so I thought I would post it on here. After reading it again, I realized it's something I wanted to keep on my blog...and maybe my kids would get a little bit of insight into their Mom someday (something that would be fun to have about my own Mom).

Anyway, it's simple and just what the title implies - you sit and write down 25 random things about yourself. If you end up doing one, please let me know...I'd love to read it!

1. I thought this 25 random things was kind of silly until I read several and then realized it's interesting and fun.

2. I love, love, love sports - especially football and baseball, and I plan our activities around watching games - especially the Longhorns. When I was dating Jeff, he wanted to go to a movie on a Sunday and I told him he was crazy...Sunday means football!

3. I got my love of sports from my Dad. I would sit by him for hours on the couch peppering him with questions to learn the game. If I had to go to bed before a game was over, I would leave a note on the kitchen table with blanks for 'final score', 'winning pitcher', 'homeruns' or 'most TDs' - whatever I could think of. He would always fill it out and leave it for me to find in the morning.

4. I never knew what the 'middle child syndrome' was until I saw the Brady Bunch episode where Jan went to the birthday party wearing the black wig to be different from Marcia. I thought I might have it too, but after a few weeks realized I didn't feel neglected for being the middle child.

5. I have always loved big family get-togethers. I love the kids, the noise, the games, the food and all the laughter.

6. I still desperately miss my mom, who died 24 years ago, when I was a junior in high school.

7. I'm an organizing freak - everything needs a place and should be returned to its place when you are done with it, from the ketchup bottle to the shoes you are wearing to the markers and crayons. I think baskets are the easiest way to organize and I love making lists. I am married to a non-list-making and non-list-following man...God does have a sense of humor!

8. Thankfully (for my family), I am able to laugh at myself about my organizing gene, and I don't get stressed out if things aren't just right.

9. I grew up in the church, but it wasn't until I was 27 that I finally realized what it meant to have a relationship with God, and that it was so much more than 'religion'. I am so thankful that He waited for me and actually followed me around planting seeds while I was searching for fulfillment in the wrong places.

10. Other than my relationship with Jesus, my husband and my 3 kids bring me the most joy.

11. I love how different all of my kids are - Pike is the Einstein (genius smarts, scatterbrained and amazingly witty all in one), Grace is my Saving Grace (responsible, helpful, detail-oriented, sweet-spirited, servant's heart, teacher's pet kind of girl), Emma is...Emma (outgoing, talkative, silly, where's my lip gloss - I might see a boy and I'm only 6 - kind of girl).

12. I think my dad is the smartest person I have ever met. He is also humble, gentle, kind, an amazing writer and has been the best role model. I still remember so many of his sayings...one of my favorites on having a job: "Work so that they will miss you when you're gone". And that's what I have always tried to do.

13. It took me 40 years to find the perfect pair of jeans!

14. If I could pick one talent, it would be singing. I can totally see myself on stage singing my heart out...for now, the kitchen and car will have to do.

15. I hate scary movies...when I was a kid Scooby-Doo would give me nightmares!

16. I used to think the Tooth Fairy used all the teeth to make amazing jewelry for her friends.

17. A dream vacation would be going to different ballparks - Fenway, Wrigley, Camden Yards - I wish I would have seen Yankee Stadium before they tore it down.

18. I love colored Sharpies!

19. I really enjoy going to the beach, but I do not like getting in the water.

20. I cry for every emotion - when I'm overjoyed, frustrated, angry, scared, surprised or really sad. I am not a person who can hide the tears either...I get the red face, snotty nose and puffy eyes everytime.

21. I am a very light sleeper married to someone who snores very loud...is this that whole sense of humor thing again??

22. I love that my brother and sister are my best friends - and that I adore their spouses - and that we all make an effort every year to go on a vacation together with all the cousins.

23. I would much rather take a shower than a bath...something about sitting in water that you used to clean yourself is not appealing.

24. I have finally gotten over the fact that I have Fred Flintstone feet and I love to go get a pedicure.

25. I think it's hilarious that I'm a stay-at-home mom with 3 kids in school and it still took me over 9 hours to get this done!

No comments: