Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Pike's Trip to the ER

Most of you have heard the story and have seen some pictures, but I'm going to post my email that I sent out on Sunday here. Pike is feeling good and has been back at school. He's not sore at all which surprises me. It looks like it hurts! He is starting to swell and change colors - kind of purple-ish yellow. He said it doesn't look as cool as it did on Sunday. I told him it would get back there once the swelling went down. We have a follow-up appointment tomorrow with the plastic surgery clinic at Texas Children's. I'll post an update after that.

Here's the email I sent out...

We had an eventful night Saturday night....Pike got bit by a dog – just a freak accident – and we ended up in the ER for most of the night. He’s actually doing really good today (Sunday) and the plastic surgeon said it should heal fine. We are sooo thankful that God’s hand of protection was on him. It could have been so much worse and we are praising Him that everything turned out the way it did...

Some of the many praises...
· We knew the dog was up-to-date on shots
· Pike was wearing his glasses which deflected the cuts away from his eye
· The cut on his eyelid was fairly deep, but without his glasses, it probably would have gone all the way through and damaged his eye
· We initially went to the Kingwood ER, which had an 8 hour wait (can you believe??), so we went to TX Children’s downtown where they had a pediatric plastic surgeon in house and only 1 person ahead of us
· The plastic surgeon said all 3 cuts were easily stitched together and were in the best spots possible to show minimal scarring. All 3 are in natural creases in the face and should be almost unnoticeable after they heal.

Thank you Lord!!!!

I actually had my camera in my purse and Pike wanted to look at himself. There wasn’t a mirror in the room, so I took a couple of pictures to show him what it looked like. We were so proud of Pike! He was such a trooper and did so good! Guess I’m going to have to postpone family pictures for a little bit. :)

We are waiting in the ER for the plastic surgeon.

I wanted to take the bandage off, but we just got the bleeding to stop...didn’t want to risk it.

Stitched up and ready to go home. This picture was taken at 4:00 a.m. He is amazing!!

This morning (Sunday) it’s more swollen and starting to bruise. He woke me up at 9:30 (after less than 5 hours of sleep) and said he felt ‘refreshed’!! :) I love that kid!!!

Lift him up in prayer when you think about it – that he continues to heal quickly and without noticeable scarring. We were told to keep him out of the sun for 6 months! Really?? The only thing to do in Houston during the summer to stay cool is swim!! We will invest in a lot of sunscreen – I told him he would have to carry one around in his pocket!!

I’ll keep taking pictures and posting updates when I get a chance.

No comments: